Around here, whether it’s baked up for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, we’re all about anything that comes in a casserole dish. Call it a casserole, a bake, or a hotdish, we just think it’s hard to improve upon a piping hot complete meal that comes out of a single baking dish. We’re especially all about casserole when it’s a variety that works for any meal, and that’s just what this delicious Italian Egg Bake manages to do. Rich with Italian flavor and plenty of veggies, this anytime-of-day egg bake is equally at home at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. (And we won’t blame you if you go ahead and eat it for all three.)
Eggplants, red onion, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and a touch of Italian seasoning are folded into a cheesy egg mixture before being tucked into the oven. You bake it until it’s set, so that the texture is still soft but studded with pockets of chewy vegetables and topped with a golden cheesy-crust. The cherry tomatoes add pops of fresh sweetness against the earthy mushrooms, which do a great job in adding a hearty nature to this meatless dish.
While we love the flavor and simplicity of this rustic dish, we also love the fact that it works so well when made ahead. If you’re looking to hit snooze a few extra times in the A.M. you can always prep the ingredients for this the night before, mix it all up, and let it chill overnight in the refrigerator. In the morning, you can take it straight from the refrigerator to the oven; you just might need to tack on a few minutes of baking time to account for the chilled ingredients.
Italian Egg Bake
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for greasing dish
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with oil. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add onion, mushrooms, and eggplant and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more. Drain off any excess moisture and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add eggs, half-and-half, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to a large bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Add mushroom/eggplant mixture, cherry tomatoes, and half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and top with remaining cheeses. Bake until golden-brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from The Kitchen Is My Playground.