We’ve got a dish that is just as good for a dinner party as it is for a weeknight meal, and you’ll soon see why. This rich and creamy dish made with flavorful chicken thighs and an out-of-this-world mushroom sauce will have you practically licking the skillet and your plates for every last morsel. Our one-skillet wonder will have everyone captivated when they sit down to eat. The best part is that it’s a fairly simple meal to make too, so even a rookie cook can comfortably prepare a meal that is going to absolutely impress.
One of the many, many reasons why we love chicken thighs is that they’re naturally full of great flavor and they’re often less expensive than chicken breast, so we’re really getting so much more bang for our buck when we choose them over a breast. We toss it with oil, salt, and pepper – a simple but perfect seasoning combination. That takes care of the chicken so now we can turn our attention to the creamy mushroom sauce. Naturally, a creamy mushroom sauce must first begin with mushrooms, and we sauté them in the same skillet as the chicken.
The mushrooms and all their wonderful earthiness take on some of that chicken flavor. A creamy sauce needs heavy cream and cheese to help make the sauce something truly special. With the help of some garlic, salty parmesan cheese, and pepper, our cream sauce turns into a rich, luxurious concoction that is so good you’ll want to pour it over everything.
The dish finishes off in the oven and comes out a true wonder to behold. The aroma is amazing and we can hardly wait to dive right in. There’s no need to transfer this to a separate serving platter. Just grab a trivet from the kitchen and place the skillet right on the dinner table (with cautions to not touch the pan as it will be piping hot from the oven). A garnish of bright parsley and a few turns of the pepper grinder will give this meal a little freshness and a pop of color. Elegant enough for a dinner party but easy enough for a weeknight meal, our chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce is an amazing one-skillet-wonder.
Chicken In Creamy Mushroom Sauce
40 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 4-6 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
- Toss chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and dried Italian seasoning.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides until just golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate and cover.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In the same large skillet set to medium-high heat, add butter and stir until melted. Sauté onions until translucent. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Sprinkle flour into the pan and whisk to combine. Next, whisk in chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Return chicken to pan, and include any juices left on the plate. Cover and bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken thighs are thoroughly cooked.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and a generous amount of fresh cracked black pepper.
Recipe adapted from Le Creme de la Crumb.