Now, this is a real treat! Boiled brown sugar frosting is just about the most delicious thing you’ll have ever tasted. If you can manage to get the frosting onto your favorite baked good, rather than just gobbling it straight from the bowl, then you should consider yourself lucky! Get ready to boil then whip up a frosting that is truly something special.
Brown sugar, water, and corn syrup are brought to a boil until the mixture becomes stringy, almost thread-like in texture and consistency. Since we’re boiling sugar here, you’ll want to exercise caution! The risk is certainly worth the reward as we transfer that sugary mixture to a bowl of beaten egg whites, slowly adding the sugar to the egg whites and beating consistently until the frosting forms stiff peaks. At this point, you’ll add the vanilla and salt – salt kind of magically makes things taste sweeter and it’s a must in this frosting. Once the frosting has cooled, it’s ready to be applied to your favorite cake or cupcake.
We like to use a piping bag when we want our frosting to look really amazing, and just look at how beautifully the boiled brown sugar frosting looks on these cupcakes! It’s hard to resist a frosted treat around our house, but that resistance is reduced to dust when we whip up a batch of this boiled brown sugar frosting. Just try to not eat it straight from the bowl or piping bag! Once it’s set atop a cupcake, we’re practically weak in the knees. When you’re looking for a knockout frosting that will put the wow-factor to 100% on your next batch of cupcakes, look no further than this boiled brown sugar frosting.
Boiled Brown Sugar Frosting
20 minutes to prepare 6 cups
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium saucepan with tall sides, mix together brown sugar, water, and corn syrup and bring to a rolling boil.
- Let boil at medium heat until syrup resembles strands of hair when dripping from spoon, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg whites while beating continuously. Beat until icing holds peaks, then mix in vanilla and salt.
- Let cool before frosting. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from I Wash You Dry.