What are your thoughts on a savory cake? We know where we stand on the idea – staunch believers – and love to try to get as many people as possible to try it out and see how yummy it can be. Case in point, this southern sausage cake. It’s stuffed to the brim with veggies, sausage and cheese, plus it’s just the ticket for breakfast on-the-go or brunch with friends. You could even throw together a side salad and call this dinner. Seriously, it’s filling and full of flavor and anytime is a good time to make it!
While you could put just about anything in this dish, we stuck with hot Italian sausage, veggies and plenty of cheese, and boy, did we love the end result. Spicy meat, onion and bell pepper, parmesan cheese and pepperjack, all folded into some sour cream-laden biscuit mix. It all goes into the oven and comes out as densely packed, but pillowy cake that’s perfect for any meal. It also freezes and reheats like a DREAM, so feel free to make this ahead of time, then freeze as a whole or in individual slices – boom, breakfast for the week is taken care of.
For those of you who like to have an arsenal of recipes that work year-round, for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this is a great one to keep in your back pocket. It’s substantial enough to keep you feeling full, plus it’s just fun to switch things up and make a savory cake that’s as addictively yummy as a traditional cake. We’re hooked on this and we have a feeling we won’t be alone, once you try it.
Southern Sausage Cake
1 hour 15 minutes to prepare serves 9-12
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a square baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together biscuit mix, whole milk and sour cream until fully combined.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat and season with salt and pepper. Drain grease, if needed.
- Add onion and bell peppers and continue cooking until softened.
- Remove from heat, then season with garlic powder and hot sauce. Stir in cheeses and beaten egg until fully incorporated.
- Fold sausage mixture into batter, then transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before serving, then cut into squares and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Elizabeth's Edible Experience