If there’s one thing we tend to think at the end of a long week, it’s “where did the time go??” Between driving around, running errands and making meals for everyone, along with all the other things that have a tendency to pop up at the last minute, it seems like there’s never a minute to spare, and we’d love to just have a chunk of time – that could be as small as 10 minutes! – where we can breathe and relax without having to think of the next thing to do. And this dish gives us that time and then some!
Our love for the slow cooker will never die (regardless of the competition it gets from our Instant Pot), and we find ourselves turning to it time and again on nights when we want something hearty and delicious, without having to stand over a stove for more than five minutes. These slow cooker dijon pork chops are a meat and potato dinner that everyone will love, but you, especially, will, because it frees up your time and allows you to take that break!
Okay, so you have a couple options here. First, to brown or not brown the pork chops before getting started. We chose to brown ours, since it adds flavor and good color, but if you simply want to throw those bad boys in the sauce in the slow cooker, go for it. Second, to make and add a thickener or not. Usually consisting of flour or cornstarch and water, also known as a slurry, adding this to your cooked dish and then letting it simmer for a few more minutes will thicken your sauce and make it nice and creamy – so yummy!
Once you’ve figured out your game plan, this dish is such a breeze. Make the sauce, coat potatoes and onions in said sauce, pour it into the slow cooker and add your pork chops. Feel free to coat them in sauce as well. At the end of it all, you’ve got a dinner that’s got all your fixins’ included – now get that in slow cooker and then go put your feet up!
Dijon Pork Chops And Potatoes
15 minutes active; 2+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 6 boneless pork loin chops (about 1-inch thick)
- 6 red potatoes, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Whisk together condensed soup, chicken broth, mustard, garlic, thyme, basil and oregano in a large bowl, and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in sliced potatoes and onions until fully coated, then set aside.
- Optional: heat vegetable oil in a pan or skillet over high heat and brown pork chops on all sides.
- Place potato onion mixture in slow cooker, then place pork chops on top.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 5-6.
- Optional: once pork chops are cooked, remove from slow cooker.
- Whisk together water and flour until smooth, then pour into slow cooker. Stir until incorporated, then return pork chops to slow cooker, cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Transfer to serving plates and enjoy.