Corn is one of those really versatile vegetables, from roasted to boiled to creamed, it goes well with just about everything and is really easy to prepare. One of our favorite ways to cook corn is in our slow cooker, and it’s made especially marvelous when we add cream cheese. When the sweet corn pairs with the creamy cheese and savory add ons, like onion and garlic, well, that’s pretty much a dish full of delish. Creamed corn is a pretty easy recipe, but we like to make it a little bit easier by letting the slow cooker do all the work. Our ever faithful slow cooker yields yet another awesome recipe.
We used to reserve creamed corn for holiday fare, but why limit ourselves? With spring weather upon us, and summer on the horizon, we know there’s plenty of opportunity to enjoy one of our favorite vegetables: corn. This recipe is a great option as a side dish for a potluck or barbecue; we can enjoy creamed corn next to our favorite foods hot off a grill. There are some really great ways to adapt the seasonings too: we like adding onion and garlic, but also from time to time a little mustard for tang. We love the sweet bite of corn with that savory creaminess. This is a dish that is hard to go wrong with.
Creamed corn is a little old-fashioned, but when we’re feeling nostalgic, this is a dish that reminds us of growing up, family gatherings, and good food. And when a recipe is this easy, it makes sense that it is something we’d go back to time and time again. So, whether it’s a potluck, barbecue, or just Sunday dinner, this is a side dish that we know will be well received. Warm creamed corn is a comfort food that makes us feel right at home.
Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
3 hours 15 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (15 oz) cans whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion until translucent; add garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 minute. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add corn, milk, sugar salt, pepper, stir to combine. Add cream cheese and butter to slow cooker, do not stir. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- Remove cover and stir to combine ingredients. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish or serve directly from slow cooker. Enjoy!