Looking for that side dish to tie your whole meal together? We’ve got you covered! This cheesy corn and broccoli is a side that’s incredibly easy to put together, plus it goes with just about every meal you can think of – you could even stir it into some freshly cooked pasta and make a cheesy, summer-y sauce! You can add a cornstarch or flour thickener to make this a little more substantial, but we love leaving it a bit thinner, making it the perfect thing to serve on top of mashed potatoes or rice…you’ve got unlimited options when it comes to this!
Fresh corn or broccoli could work, but when time is limited and all you’ve got is frozen or canned veggies, go ahead and use those! Along with some creamy condensed soup, cheddar cheese and velveeta – so it melts perfectly smoothly – broccoli and cream-style corn blend together and break down into creamy, cheese goodness that we seriously can’t get enough of. You can check on this after an hour or so, turning the slow cooker off if your desired consistency is reached (which is what we do that when we want this to be a bit more substantial), but it’s just so good served on top of something else, that letting it go the full 2 hours is our typical approach.
We said it before and we’ll say it again: this goes with everything and there’s basically no way you can go wrong with this. Chicken, pork, spinach, potatoes…you’ll want to serve this with everything!
Cheesy Corn and Broccoli
10 minutes active; 2 hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 1 (18 oz.) package frozen broccoli florets
- 1 (14 oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken or cheddar soup
- 4 oz. velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1-3 tablespoons whole milk, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pour condensed soup into slow cooker, then whisk in milk, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add in corn, broccoli florets, cubed velveeta and cheddar cheese, stirring until everything is coated and incorporated in cheesy sauce.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours, stirring halfway through.
- Optional: whisk together water and cornstarch to make a slurry, then stir into slow cooker mixture. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Taste And Tell