Is there any better feeling than when a piping hot plate of sizzling fajitas gets placed down in front of you?? It’s a hard feeling to beat, but we think we may just have cracked the code to recreating restaurant-worthy steak fajitas at home! That’s right, tons of yummy roasted veggies and perfectly cooked steak…it doesn’t get better – or easier – than this.
To make this Tex-Mex classic you’ll need skirt or flank steak, onion, red onion and bell peppers. Along with a blend of spices to up the flavor and take everything to the next level, that’s basically it! This is a dish that really lets the steak and veggies sing. They complement each other and go oh-so-perfectly into soft, warm flour tortillas. Yum!! So to get your steak and veggies to really sing, we whisked together a little sauce that gets poured over everything on the sheet pan before it goes in the oven; chili powder, cumin, garlic powder (plus actual garlic), paprika, olive oil and lime juice all get drizzled over the base ingredients. Toss it all together and brush it all over the meat and you’re all set.
Your baking sheet goes into the oven for about 14 minutes, then we broiled it for another two to get some color on the meat and veggies, and that was it! Make sure to have a meat thermometer on hand to ensure it cooks to perfection. We wanted it to reach 145º F for medium-rare, but you can cook it a little longer if that’s what you like. Get it out of the oven, let it rest for 10 minutes – crucial, so that the meat reabsorbs its juices and doesn’t dry out when you cut it! – and you’ve got yourself a delicious lunch or dinner that only needs a pitcher of margaritas to make you feel like you’re at your favorite Mexican restaurant!
Homemade Steak Fajitas
30 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 1 pound flank steak
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas
- lime wedges, for serving
- cilantro, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450º F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Place flank steak on baking sheet, then arrange onion, red onion and bell peppers around the steak.
- Pour lime and olive oil dressing over steak and veggies, tossing until veggies are fully coated.
- Place 8 tortillas in an aluminum foil wrap and place in corner of baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, then broil for 2 minutes, or until internal temperature of beef reaches 140º F.
- Remove from oven and let beef rest for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain. Place tortilla foil packet in oven to warm tortillas.
- Serve hot with warmed tortillas, sprinkled with cilantro and lime juice.