Regardless of whether summer’s on its way in or on its way out, there’s something about cooking with pineapple that makes us so happy. It’s a delicious, bright, fun flavor to incorporate into your recipes, so why wouldn’t we want to get as much out of it as possible? Not only is pineapple amazing, but how about how great it is when you combine it with coconut…piña coladas anyone?? An incredible flavor duo if we ever saw one, we knew we were going with that when we got the craving for a tropical-feeling/tasting cake the other day. Which is why we came up with this super simple dump cake with complex piña colada flavor!
This cake mix hack will change the way cakes are made for ever! Simply toss all your ingredients in a 9×13 baking dish, mix it up and pop it in the oven! Your tropics-inspired cake will be ready in no time!
Piña Colada Dump Cake
1 hour to prepare serves 10-12
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup spiced rum
- 2 pounds frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cubed
- vanilla ice cream, optional
- whipped cream, optional
- maraschino cherries, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a 9x13-inch baking dish, mix together melted butter, rum, and frozen pineapple until well-combined.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix evenly over the pineapple mixture, then sprinkle coconut on top. Evenly place butter cubes on top of the shredded coconut.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until batter is cooked through and coconut is toasted but not burnt.
- If the coconut begins to burn before end of cook time, cover with aluminum foil. Serve warm or cool with desired toppings. Enjoy!