These simple bars are more dessert than breakfast but thanks to their oatiness, could definitely pass for either. I personally love a treat that can be eaten any time of day, and I’m sure I’m not alone there. They’re a little chewy with a jammy burst of raspberry and they take less than ten minutes of effort before they head into the oven. In other words, to know them is to love them.
The base of these is a streusel-like mixture of oats, flour, butter, and sugar, but the good news is that the topping is made out of the very same mixture. (That means less work for you!)
After mixing that up you simply press the majority of it into the bottom of a baking dish, spread a generous helping of raspberry jam over it, and sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top. See? Easy.
The bottom layer stays moist and chewy, while the top layer gets a slight crispness around the edges of the oats. They’re heaven when eaten warm with a cold glass of milk. And all you need to create them is a few pantry staples and a jar of jam!
Raspberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
45 minutes to prepare serves 12
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, NOT quick cook or instant
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (18 oz) jar raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, oats, flour, salt and baking powder, and stir to combine.
- Press 3/4 of the oat mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread jam over the top in an even layer. Crumble remaining oat mixture over the top.
- Bake until lightly golden brown on top, 30-40 minutes. Let cool completely [probably 2 hours] before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from A Farm Girl's Kitchen.