You know we’re always looking for a delicious diner that’s filling and healthy for our family, without requiring a ton of effort to make at the end of a long day. It’s not that we don’t love making more elaborate meals – we do! – but there’s a time and place for them, since they require a little more mental energy and planning…thankfully, this isn’t one of those dinners. These rosemary and thyme peach pork chops are easy to throw together, take under 45 minutes to make, and taste (and look) amazing!
This dinner is basically just a matter of layering things one on top of the other and then pouring a sauce over all of it and popping it in the oven to bake. Onions are the base, which sweeten as they soak in all the flavors from what’s resting on top of them, namely, the peaches and pork chops. Peach juice, bourbon and brown sugar make up the sauce, which then gets drizzled on top of it all and thickens and caramelizes as it all cooks; this dish is no joke, it’s just so tasty!
We used fresh thyme and rosemary here, since they add an herbaceous freshness that rounds out the spicy sweetness of the sauce…. We can’t get enough of this stuff. That we can have it in the oven in under 10 minutes, and then just play the waiting game – with a full glass of wine, thank you very much – until it finishes cooking means it’s a workhorse recipe for us. Whether you whip up a nice veggie to add to your plate, or maybe some potatoes or cornbread, whichever way you spin it, these pork chops are going to be the star of the show.
Peach Pork Chop Bake
40 minutes to prepare serves 4-6
- 4 boneless pork chops, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 1 (15 oz.) can peaches, juices reserved (or 2 fresh peaches, sliced)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1/4 cup reserved peach juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced, plus more for garnish, optional
- 2-3 sprigs thyme, stems removed, plus more for garnish, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F and season pork chops generously with salt and pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar, bourbon, if using, and peach juice.
- Spread onion slices on the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish, then arrange peach slices on top of the onion. Place pork chops on top of peaches.
- Pour peach juice mixture over pork chops and peaches, trying to evenly cover everything in the dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes, then broil for another 3-5 minutes, or until internal temperature of pork reaches 145º F and pork and peaches have browned and caramelized slightly.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh thyme or rosemary. Enjoy.