Chocolate is one of the main food groups, right? Dairy, protein, fruits and vegetables, and chocolate. To make sure we get our daily allowance of chocolate, we’ve got to get creative. We love to bake regardless of the season, but some seasons, like summer, are just too hot to turn on the oven, so that’s when we get to try out all of our favorite “no bake” recipes. Not only do they spare us from the added agony of a hot summer day, but they’re simple, quick, and just super good. This particular recipe for a no bake chocolate slice is delightfully good and helps us to fulfill that daily chocolate requirement (wink).
One of the reasons we particularly love this recipe is because it’s a great way to get our kiddos into cooking and baking. We’ll pretend we’re on one of those popular kids baking shows as we build our no bake chocolate slice. Chocolate, graham crackers, crisped rice cereal, butter, coconut, and condensed milk are the essential ingredients in this mix. They’re melted and stirred together, much the process for making a Rice Krispie treat. But the coconut really makes this extra special, with sweetness and texture that elevates this from just plain ol’ Rice Krispies treat.
If we didn’t have you at chocolate-coconut-rice-krispies, then how about adding another layer of chocolate on top? To hold all of this together, we melt even more chocolate and spread it evenly over the top, then into the refrigerator it goes so that the chocolate can set. Serving this is a breeze, we just cut it up into squares and enjoy! Everyone is happy on so many different levels: the kids made something delicious, we get to eat chocolate, and we didn’t heat up the kitchen with the oven! Our no bake chocolate slice cake is appropriate for just about any season or any time you want to satisfy a chocolate craving!
No Bake Chocolate Slice
45 minutes to prepare serves 8-10
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 16 crackers)
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving enough to overhang the edges.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, cereal, and coconut until well combined.
- To a separate bowl, add the dark chocolate, butter, and condensed milk. Heat in the microwave at 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal/cracker mixture and stir quickly to combine. Spread evenly into prepared baking pan and place in the fridge to chill until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Once firm, add the chocolate chips to a small bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between. Pour over set chocolate slice and let sit until firm.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Sweetest Menu.