Want to know which dish we’ll be bringing to every potluck and game day get-together this fall? This Mississippi sin dip! Not only is this dip addictively good, it’s also suuuper portable, which is obvious considering we baked the dip directly into the loaf. Yep, all you have to do for this is carve out a hole that runs almost the length of your loaf, making sure to leave enough bread on the bottom to support the dip and keep everything inside the loaf, then you bake it and it’s ready to go.
Okay, so what in this Mississippi sin dip, you’re wondering? A little bit of heaven, in the form of sour cream, cream cheese, ham and cheddar cheese. We threw in some Worcestershire sauce and garlic and onion powder to give it a little kick, and let us tell you: this stuff is good. Like, too-good-to-pass-up good. And we seriously love how it’s self-contained in the loaf, then you can just tear off pieces and use the carved out part of the loaf to dip into this chunky, cheesy molten filling. If you want to really go over the top, go ahead and dice up the carved out part, brush it with butter, then broil it for 3 minutes…you get crispy, golden perfection that can really stand up to the weight of this hefty dip. Sinful, indeed, in the best way possible!
Circling back to this bread dip’s portability, you can make the creamy filling and stuff the loaf with it, then just wrap it in aluminum foil and take it anywhere there’s an oven. You can bring this dip to a friend’s house and bake it there, ensuring it’s served when it’s piping hot and everyone gets some of that fresh-from-the-oven goodness. Ahh, this stuff is so yummy, you won’t be able to get enough – we guess that means you’ll just have to make two!
Mississippi Bread Dip
50 minutes to prepare serves 8
- 1 (16 oz.) package sour cream, room temperature
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup ham, diced or sliced
- 1 tablespoon preferred hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 loaf French bread
- crackers, optional
- green onions, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Use a serrated bread knife to cut out center of French loaf, making sure to leave enough bread on the bottom.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream and cream cheese until smooth, then stir in hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic and onions powders.
- Fold in cheddar cheese and diced ham, then transfer mixture to bread bowl.
- Wrap in aluminum foil and place in oven. Bake for 35 minutes, then remove aluminum foil and bake for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, top with diced green onions and serve with bread and crackers.
Recipe adapted from Home Made Interest