Our Italian meatball soup has all your favorites, including a rich tomato-y broth and savory meatballs. This particular recipe also adds potatoes and peas into the mix and you’ll be delightfully surprised at just how well they all play together. Weeknight dinner just got super simple and satisfying with this one-pot solution to your dinner needs. As much as we love-love-love fresh, homemade meatballs, we must admit to keeping a bag or two in our freezer for those times when we need dinner in a pinch. So a bag of these come in super handy for our Italian meatball soup.
This is a great way to use up a half-empty box of spaghetti noodles, which inevitably happens each time we make spaghetti. A wonderful broth helps to make this soup so warming and rich in flavor. We’ve used beef stock but feel free to use vegetable if you prefer the taste. By adding potatoes and carrots, we’re getting all kinds of heartiness and sneaking a few vegetables into dinner, and we have to mention the bright pops of color and sweetness that the peas bring into the whole experience. The very best part of the dinner is the one-pot cooking process. One pot, one dinner, one happy family!
Believe it or not, this tastes even better the next day, so if you’re lucky enough to have some leftovers then you’ll have the perfect lunch for work the next day. There is just so much to offer in a pot of this amazing Italian meatball soup. It doesn’t get any easier than one stock pot filled with delicious ingredients. So we get the best of both worlds – a quick and easy dinner and super easy clean-up, a win-win in our dinner playbook!
Italian Meatball Soup
50 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 (20 oz) package frozen meatballs
- 1 (24 oz) jar marinara
- 4-5 red or new potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 dried thyme seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 oz spaghetti noodles, broken in half
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat marinara, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, garlic, dried thyme, and crushed red pepper over medium-high heat until sauce reaches a low boil, about 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs to stockpot and cook for 15-20 minutes before adding pasta.
- Add pasta and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until pasta is fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- Just before pasta is done, add frozen peas and continue to simmer until peas are warmed through. Top with fresh thyme sprigs.
- To serve, ladle soup into a bowl. Add more salt, to taste. Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Yellow Bliss Road.