Whenever someone in our family or friend circle is celebrating a big event, like a new baby, heading off to college, or moving to a new home, we love to put together a care package. We include items that are must-haves for such occasions, like kitchen towels, dorm essentials, and baby survival gear, and we also pack in a little something homemade, which usually means a loaf of our favorite lemon drop cake.
The sweet and citrusy lemon cake is topped with a sugary glaze, adding a little crunch to go along with the sweetness. It’s light, yet indulgent, and it tastes absolutely amazing. This treat adds an extra-special touch to any care package, whether it’s for newlyweds, college kids, or an under-the-weather neighbor.
lemon drop cake
70 minutes to prepare makes 1 standard loaf cake; 8 to 10 slices
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (juice from about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add milk, yogurt and lemon extract.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Fold dry ingredients into batter. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Increase temperature to 350°F and bake 35 to 40 minutes until cake is golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Combine fresh lemon juice and sugar in small bowl. Add hot water and stir until glaze is loosely thickened. Drizzle glaze over cake and let set before serving.
Recipe adapted from Platter Talk