When we think of breakfast or brunch, we often think of eggs. They’re nutritious and delicious and there are so many ways to serve them, but it can be hard not to fall into an egg rut where you end up using them the same way over and over again. (In our house that rut tends to be scrambled eggs with a little bit of shredded cheese and chives!) If your egg routine has become kind of tired, this breakfast casserole is just the change you need.
We love baked eggs in many forms, but we especially love this wonderful cottage cheese casserole. It uses both cottage cheese and mozzarella, so it has the perfect amount of stringy melted cheese with a substantial chewy bite. Cottage cheese, like ricotta, is a great base in a dish like this because it retains its shape but still becomes soft and melty. With nearly a dozen eggs, this is quite the cheesy and delicious protein-packed powerhouse to start your day!
When we make a nice brunch for friends or family, we like to rely on recipes that aren’t a lot of work so that we still have time to visit with guests, so this is a mainstay on our holiday and party menus. And people always end up raving about it! It’s a great option for brunch because it’s so easy to mix together and pop in the oven, but we love it on an average weekday too. It’s easy to make ahead and freeze in individual portions for a quick early morning breakfast. No matter what occasion we find ourselves eating this delicious dish, our favorite way to serve it is with a little bit of sweet or savory jam. It’s a great base for different flavors, so don’t be afraid to try mixing some green chile or pepper jack cheese into the batter. We’re sure that soon enough it’ll be a favorite of yours too!
Egg and Cottage Cheese Breakfast Casserole
1 hour to prepare serves 8-10
- 2 (8 oz each) packages cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together eggs, melted butter, cottage cheese, mozzarella, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and transfer to oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F and continue baking until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Adapted from Crazy for Crust.