It is often said that the simple things are the best things in life, and we don’t disagree. Well, that, and butter. That’s why it just simply doesn’t get better than this cake. Butter cake’s origins are the pound cake, which is a cake that uses equal parts butter, sugar, flour, and eggs. Butter cake uses baking powder or baking soda as a leavening agent, which creates a very different cake. Where pound cake is rich and dense, butter cake is lighter and moist. (They’re both heavy on the butter. And we aren’t complaining.)
It’s a cake that every baker should have in their repertoire. We use this recipe all the time! It’s rich enough that it lends itself better to light frostings than cream cheese based ones, but really, we rarely use one at all. It’s the sort of cake that makes a great afternoon snack when served just as it is alongside a cup of tea or some lemonade. You can certainly dress it up with your favorite frosting, but we think a light dusting of powdered sugar is all it needs. Buttery, moist, easy, and so very good… we know it’s not fair to pick favorites, but we think we might make an exception in this case.
1 hour, 15 minutes to prepare serves 10-12
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8-inch round baking pan, lining the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla, beating well after each addition. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add flour mixture, mixing on low until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
- Place in oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before inverting to cool on wire rack. Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from My Kitchen Snippets.