Weeknight dinner just got easier with this amazingly delicious chicken and potato cheese bake. There’s a little bit of effort involved, but in the end what comes out of the oven is a belly-warming cheesy masterpiece. It’s one of those meals that will satisfy a hungry crowd with just a few very simple ingredients all layered together in a casserole dish. Putting good food on the table doesn’t require a culinary degree or a lot of razzle-dazzle. We love this dish because it’s comfort food at its best.
You could easily use chicken breast here, but what we can’t get enough of chicken thighs. Not only are they a little less expensive, but they’re also super big on flavor. The darker meat tends to have a bit more richness and is a bit juicier too, which is important when cooking with chicken. We sear the thighs until just crisped, locking in that essential flavor and moisture. The sliced potatoes get to take a dip in heavy cream – heavy cream will add a wonderful creaminess along with the parmesan and cheddar cheeses. And a layer of sautéed onions and garlic enhance the cheesy potatoes by adding a nice savory element. Then it’s into the oven to bubble and bake into a creamy chicken and cheesy casserole.
Casseroles are a great way to put good food on the dinner table without too much fuss or trouble. Comfort food after a long day is one of our favorite things to come home to. Sure, it’s easy to swing by a fast food place to grab a quick bite, but that’s nowhere near as satisfying as a home cooked meal, especially when the ingredients are as simple as these come and the meal that we create is homemade and delicious. Grab a plate and a big spoon to scoop out a heaping serving of creamy, gooey, and cheesy potatoes topped with moist and flavorful chicken. Yum!
Chicken Potato Cheese Bake
1 hour to prepare serves 4-6
- 4-6 boneless chicken thighs
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Sear chicken thighs on both sides. Remove and set aside on a separate plate.
- Add butter to the skillet pan. Sauté onions until just translucent. Add a pinch of salt and 2 teaspoons minced garlic. Cook until garlic is just fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced potatoes with heavy cream and ½ cup parmesan cheese. Add 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and stir to combine.
- Layer ⅓ of the potato slices into bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread ⅓ of the onion mixture over top of the potatoes. Sprinkle over ¼ cup parmesan and ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Make a second layer with ⅓ of potato slices, onion mixture, and another layer of both cheeses. Repeat a third time, finishing with the shredded cheddar cheese. Pour the cream from the bowl over top of the potatoes.
- Place seared chicken thighs on top of the potatoes, spaced evenly apart. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle over the last 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese. Return to oven to finish baking for another 15 minutes.
- Remove casserole from oven to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Just A Pinch.