I’m not one to fuss too much over dinner, and as much as I love the simplicity of taco night, it’s nice to put a little extra effort into a simple weeknight dinner and that’s when I turn to a recipe like this baked burrito loco casserole. It’s practical, simple, and super delicious. A casserole always equals comfort food and this recipe is no different. It’s almost like a burrito lasagna!
What I love most about this dish is all of the layering, taco meat, tortillas, beans, and a really simple cream sauce, and, of course, cheese. It starts like most taco nights do, with ground beef, taco seasoning, and onions. From there, I’ll grab a can of cream of mushroom soup. I can appreciate that this might sound a bit unusual so if the cream of mushroom isn’t your thing, feel free to substitute.
Into a 9×13-inch casserole dish, I’ll start to build my burrito loco casserole. A layer of the creamy sauce goes into the bottom, then I’ll take three tortillas and lay them into the bottom of the dish. I want to fully cover the bottom so I’ll grab one more and slice it to fill the gaps.
Then a layer of beef, more of the creamy sauce, cheese, and then back to the layer of tortillas. Repeat until you’ve used all of the fillings and you’ll end with a layer of tortillas and cheese.
The casserole bakes in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350°F. Then I’ll take it out of the oven to cool for about 10 minutes, allowing the casserole to settle and making it much easier to cut into squares for when I’m ready to serve.
Isn’t this deliciously gorgeous?!? I mean, when I want to change up taco night, then this burrito loco casserole is just what I’m looking for. It’s just a fun adaptation of a go-to dish. I usually put out a few garnishes, like sour cream and some sliced green onions, maybe a little bit of salsa too. This is one crazy version of a burrito and lasagna all baked together into one burrito loco casserole.
Baked Burrito Casserole
30 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 (15 oz) can refried beans
- 1 (15 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 12 large flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, season the ground beef with taco seasoning, and brown along with the onions until beef has cooked through.
- Stir in refried beans and cook until heated through. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Spread half of mixture on bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Using 3 tortillas, cover soup mixture, cutting some tortillas in pieces or halves to evenly cover the dish.
- Spread tortillas evenly with a third of the beef mixture, followed by a third of the remaining soup mixture, and a quarter of the cheese. Repeat layers two more times.
- Top with final layer of tortillas, followed by remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese has melted, about 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Written Reality.